File system trouble

Hi, ran into some trouble worth mentioning.

I'm debugging a program using Insight, and apparantly it has the undesirable side-effect of every now and again leaving the source file in an unusable state (often/always), i even had one disappear on me (once)?! Luckily i could recover a .cpp~ file.

How this is noticed: any cygwin editor i have (i use jed but emacs displays the same behaviour) can load the source file in question, but at the first keypress any cygwin-based text editor hangs irrecoverably and must be killed. Editors not related to cygwin do not display that behaviour afterwards.

Any ideas anyone?