RE: fork: child -1 - CreateProcessA failed, errno 11

Kornél Pál wrote on 23 April 2008 14:00:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you very much for the information, and please forgive
> me for this
> reply if I have the problem described in the FAQ.
>
> I only have Windows Defender installed from the list but I am using it
> with cygwin for more than a year without any problems.

  It could be that you have discovered a new entry for the list :-(

> Note that according to the error message CreateProcessA is
> failing rather
> than cygwin's fork implementation and other processes not
> related to cygwin
> start fail to initialize (CreateProcess fails) after cygwin
> starts failing.

  Yes, this almost certainly means some buggy software (antivirus?  desktop
firewall?  other security software?) which includes a kernel-mode component
(device driver or filter) is leaking O/S resources such as pool memory or
handles.  You might be able to track it down by use of the windows "Driver
verifier":

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/DevTools/tools/DrvVerifier.mspx

although it's a fairly advanced debugging tool, but for your purposes you'd
just want to enable it for all devices, run your system up to the point the
errors start to arise, and if it spots any misbehaviour it'll give you a BSOD
that clearly identifies the faulty driver.  (Then disable verification again
after the reboot!)

> Have anybody else experienced this problem?

  Many people, many times, and IIRC it has /always/ turned out to be some
other application interfering.  Like I say, your first suspicion should be
security-related software or anything that installed a device driver.

    cheers,
      DaveK