Re: Possible Defect: Long delay in some progam executions

Gregory Rosensteel wrote:
Hello,
  I performed a fresh install of cygwin on windows XP. I am seeing
that some commands take a really long time to execute, I was wondering
if anyone else is experience this.  For example, the 'which' command
takes 2s while the 'pwd' command runs just fine. Please see my sample
output below and if you have encountered this before, let me know
what's up!

$ time which Usage: which [options] [--] COMMAND [...] Write the full path of COMMAND(s) to standard output.

  --version, -[vV] Print version and exit successfully.
  --help,          Print this help and exit successfully.
  --skip-dot       Skip directories in PATH that start with a dot.
  --skip-tilde     Skip directories in PATH that start with a tilde.
  --show-dot       Don't expand a dot to current directory in output.
  --show-tilde     Output a tilde for HOME directory for non-root.
  --tty-only       Stop processing options on the right if not on tty.
  --all, -a        Print all matches in PATH, not just the first
  --read-alias, -i Read list of aliases from stdin.
  --skip-alias     Ignore option --read-alias; don't read stdin.
  --read-functions Read shell functions from stdin.
  --skip-functions Ignore option --read-functions; don't read stdin.

Recommended use is to write the output of (alias; declare -f) to standard
input, so that which can show aliases and shell functions. See which(1) for
examples.

If the options --read-alias and/or --read-functions are specified then the
output can be a full alias or function definition, optionally followed by
the full path of each command used inside of those.

Report bugs to <which-bugs@gnu.org>.

real    0m2.082s
user    0m0.030s
sys     0m0.000s

Greg@laptop1 ~
$ time pwd
/home/Greg

real    0m0.001s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.000s

pwd is a shell built-in, "which" must be searched for along your $PATH.
You could check if any of the early paths in $PATH are network shares (which would obviously be slower). It gets especially bad if some of those network shares drop off the network - you have to wait for a timeout, to proceed to the next $PATH element.

luke