Vista + cygwin basics

So, I'm taking the plunge...but I have a few questions. Here's what I've done so far:

(1) using setup-2.588 snapshot

(2) Ran as Administrator. Note that I was logged in as my normal user account, which is NOT a member of the Administrators group. So, I right-clicked on setup-2.588.exe, and chose 'Run as Administrator'. This gave me the UAC popup, with my choice of Administrative accounts:
a) the regular ComputerOwner account that was pre-configured on my comptuer, and is a member of the Administrators group
b) the hidden "real" Administrator account
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9015738&pageNumber=2

(I chose to use the real 'Administrator' account)

(3) selected my favorite packages
(4) installed.

There are a few things I noticed that were/are odd.

(1) The installation reported an error

2008/04/13 03:08:21 mbox note: Can't open file://C:\Users\cwilson\Desktop\cygwin-local/http%3a%2f%2fmirrors.xmission.com%2fcygwin/release/GNOME/glib2/glib2-runtime/glib2-runtime-2.10.3-1.tar.bz2 for reading: Invalid or unsupported tar format

This seems related to this:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2008-04/msg00104.html
but I thought these were all fixed
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2008-04/msg00105.html

And besides, my copy of glib2-runtime-2.10.3-1.tar.bz2 IS 46 bytes, and 'tar tvjf' doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

(2) Many of the installed files look like this:

$ ls -l aatest.exe
----r-x---+ 1 Administrator Users   6144 Mar 20 13:53 aatest.exe

$ getfacl aatest.exe
# file: aatest.exe
# owner: Administrator
# group: Users
user::---
group::r-x
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---

Compare this to my XP machine, in which I typically run setup.exe under my normal user account (which is a member of the Administrators group):

$ ls -l aatest.exe
-rwxr-x---+ 1 cwilson Users 6144 Mar 20 13:53 aatest.exe

$ getfacl aatest.exe
# file: aatest.exe
# owner: cwilson
# group: Users
user::rwx
group::r-x
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---

What puzzles me here is that the nominal owner on Vista, 'Administrator' does not appear to have the user permission bits/ACL entry.

(3) Symlinks look like this:

$ ls -l aclocal
lrwxrwxrwx 1 Administrator None 25 Apr 13 03:19 aclocal -> /etc/alternatives/aclocal

$ getfacl aclocal
# file: aclocal
# owner: Administrator
# group: Users
user::---
group::r-x
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---

By way of comparison, on XP:

$ ls -l aclocal
lrwxrwxrwx 1 cwilson Users 25 Aug 20 2005 aclocal -> /etc/alternatives/aclocal*

$ getfacl aclocal
# file: aclocal
# owner: cwilson
# group: Users
user::rwx
group::r-x
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---

Once again, it seems odd that on Vista, the nominal owner has no 'user' permissions in the ACL list (even though symlinks are always 'ls -l'ed as lrwxrwxrwx)

(4) and directories look like this:

$ ls -ld etc
d---r-x---+ 20 Administrator Users 12288 Apr 13 03:25 etc

$ getfacl etc
# file: etc
# owner: Administrator
# group: Users
user::---
group::r-x
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---
default:group:SYSTEM:rwx
default:group:Administrators:rwx
default:group:Users:r-x
default:mask:rwx

Again, by comparison on XP:
$ ls -ld etc
drwxrwxr-x+ 25 cwilson Users 0 Apr 13 00:28 etc/

$ getfacl etc
# file: etc
# owner: cwilson
# group: Users
user::rwx
group::rwx
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
mask:rwx
other:r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group:SYSTEM:rwx
default:group:Administrators:rwx
default:group:Users:rwx
default:mask:rwx

So, are these differences expected? Have I messed up the installation by doing 'Run as Administrator' -- some posts around the web seem to recommned turning off UAC when running setup.exe, or running it in 'XP Compatibility Mode'.

What is the official recommendation for installing cygwin on Vista?

--
Chuck