Re: Bash.exe stays open after Putty is closed

On 4/5/08, Andrew DeFaria <Andrew@defaria.com> wrote:
> NightStrike wrote:
> > Killing putty with Alt-F4 is the same as losing connectivity, or putty
> crashing (rare as that is), or any of several other scenarios where there is
> abnormal termination. Does bash remain running under any abnormal
> termination? If so, that's a bug. If not, what makes things like
> connectivity loss different from closing putty with Alt-f4?
> >
> I agree, any cause of termination of the window should kill the children
> like bash. However, I'm curious, why are you using Putty instead of just
> ssh? I assume you mean Putty on Windows. If you have Cygwin why not simply
> do ssh <host>?

I personally use putty because the putty console window is superb, and
because it allows incredibly easy access to all of the many features
of an ssh client.  Plus, it supports both telnet and ssh, can handle a
bazillion code pages / character sets (the most important being
UTF-8), offers great logging support, per-connection profiles,
complete control over hotkeys, easy handling of Backspace, one-click
access to the alternate terminal screen buffer (for applications like
vi), etc etc etc...

If you have Windows, why NOT use putty?