RE: Changing cygwin account name (cygwin only)

> Subject: Re: Changing cygwin account name (cygwin only)
>
> --- Hussein Patwa ha scritto:
> > Hello,
> >

> > Anyway the one final issue that remains is that I want to
> change the
> > user name that is the default user for my cygwin
> installation.  At the
> > moment it's taking the name from my WinXP account name, so
> > home/Hussein Patwa/.
> > I'd like to change it to something that doesn't have a space, but
> > don't want to rename my computer's account.
> >
> > How can I change the user for cygwin without messing up all the
> > internal file paths, etc?  Is there a function that will change the
> > name, rename that folder, and also update all the various internals
> > automatically?
> >

> modify /etc/passwd
> this is the file where the Windows user are mapped to the cygwin one

Thanks, I got it done. The new named folder appeared, but I wasn't sure
whether I could safely delete the old one.  Anyway, fortunately or not I had
to re-install due to some mistakes on my part (no doubt facilitated by lack
of sleep) and edited the passwd file before launching cygwin for the first
time.  Voila.  Now I have just one user, named as I want, and it's good.

One more question though, how can I change the way bash (and tcsh as I
sometimes use it for a change) display the type prompt?  I use a screen
reader and it can get tedious hearing it read out the whole user@host each
time the prompt appears.  Can I change it to just user, or rename the host
part (which is a random laptop name ACER-12345678 for example) to say just
patwa@laptop without changing the windows name for it?  I'd experiment with
passwd, but I'm not sure if the machine name given in there is taken from
windows, or whether it would break if I changed it.  Hope this makes sense.
Sorry, but after all the problems, download, install, delete, re-install
cycles I've had this weekend I'm weary of doing anything on my own that
might break what's an almost perfect setup now.

> > Thanks for any help.  Bear in mind I'm no cygwin guru so please go
> > gentle on me.
> >
> so it is a good moment to read the user guide ;-)
>
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#id317355

Guilty as charged.  I usually use Google though, maybe it's just that not
being all that familiar with Unix, I find it hard to map what I'm looking
for to what's in the manual.  Take the NT security page you linked me to for
example. I didn't understand most of it, just used the example near the foot
of the page and hoped for the best, lol.  But yes, I should probably spend a
weekend 'learning' these things as knowledge for the future.

Kind Regards and Best Wishes,

Hussein Patwa.
--
PatwaNet
Tel: 0789 47 595 62

Find me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/p/Hussein_Patwa/510013486

Get FREE, full-featured IMAP and webmail NOW!  Unlimited space, zero spam,
what could be better?  Respond now and get started today!