Re: Cygwin is saving my ass

2008/3/25, Dave Korn:
> Robert Latest wrote on 25 March 2008 08:50:
>  > Enter corporate IT. For four weeks now I've been holding my first real
>  > industry job. And I'm locked into a M$ Windows PC. God, I hadn't known
>  > just how much Windows sucks. Everything around here is done with
>  > Access and Excel and lots of ultra-slow VBA glue to hold it more or
>  > less together. Lotus Notes for appointments and email. Well, that's
>  > not going to change, but who helps ME to get MY work done?
>  >
>  > Enter Cygwin. Finally, things flow again. What a relief. Thanks, guys.
>

>   :)  I think you speak for quite a lot of people here when you say that.  I
>  couldn't function in my day-to-day work without a real shell, and grep and
>  sed, and all the gnu tools.  Cygwin makes windows worth using!

Best is that I'm in a high-tech, high-profile SW-HW company which is
now doing windows only, and that I'm one of three of >2500 who knows
a shell, emacs, coreutils, ... At least we have 3 other perl people.
Not that the Windows tools are crap. They are GUI-wise by far superior.
You cannot just automate them.
Cygwin saved my deadlines a lot of times so far, even if I have to convert
the prototypes to MSWin32 sometimes.
And the real hairy stuff is still happening on secret Linux, RTLinux or VAX
boxes or even weirder self-written transputer or Shark or StrongArm firmware.
My latest server had to be protoyped on cygwin for two years, until I got
permission for a real linux server.

When we just could have valgrind's memchecker for windows/newlib at least ...