Re: Re: pthread_mutex_lock/unlock performance?

On Mar 14 12:47, Mojmir Svoboda wrote:
> morning, Corinna
>
> > > the thing is that cygwin's pthread_mutex_lock performs quite lazily it
> > > takes about seven times more than using native critical section.
>
> > Bookkeeping overhead?
>
> excuse my unfamiliarity with the matter, but i have no exact idea what
> bookkeping could be. could you elaborate the answer more, please?
> or point me to some article/documentation where i can read more?

Only in the source, sorry.  I'm also not exaclty familiar with the
pthread code in Cygwin.  I only look into it when a serious problem
crops up.

> > Just have a look into the Cygwin source.
>
> yes, that's first place i tried to look, but got little disoriented
> with the _ and __ versions of the pthread_mutex_lock. i've eventually
> finished in __pthread_lock. am i on the right track?

Er... probably.

> > If you want to speed up Cygwin's pthread implementation, feel free to
> > contribute:  http://cygwin.com/contrib.html
>
> well i'm using windows and cygwin for few months so i quite don't feel
> ready... yet ;)

No worries.  Everyone of us started with moaning and hair pulling over
the existing code ;)

Corinna

Red Hat