RE: Cannot start bash prompts: processes intermittently don't die

Cutting down PATH didn't help:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>path
PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\cygwin\u
sr\X11R6
\bin;C:\cygwin\bin;C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>start C:\cygwin\cygwin.bat

...still produced the hang.

Performing the rebase procedure did not appear to have any change,
either.

I think that it's odd that once this problem began to occur, it has
persisted across clean reinstalls or different versions, reboots, etc.
Is there anything else that I could need to clean out between installs
other than what is covered in the FAQ
(http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all)?

-Sam

PS Dave, sorry for sending you this reply directly instead of the list.
I didn't police Outlook sufficiently to keep it from doing stupid things
with the address.