Re: postgresql packaging questions

2008/3/6, Dr. Volker Zell <dr.volker.zell@oracle.com>:
>  setup.ini claims the following:

>  @ libecpg-compat1
>  sdesc: "Older version of run-time library for ECPG programs"
>  ldesc: "The ecpg_compat.dll shared library is used by programs built with ecpg.
>  (Embedded PostgreSQL for C).
>  .
>  PostgreSQL is an object-relational SQL database management system."
>  category: Libs
>  [test]
>  version: 7.4.5-1
>
>  @ libecpg4
>  sdesc: "Run-time library for ECPG programs"
>  ldesc: "The ecpg.dll shared library is used by programs built with ECPG
>  (Embedded PostgreSQL for C).
>  .
>  PostgreSQL is an object-relational SQL database management system."
>  category: Libs
>  requires: libecpg-compat1
>  [test]
>  version: 7.4.5-1
>
>  @ libpgtypes1
>  sdesc: "Shared library pgtypes.dll for PostgreSQL 7.4.x"
>  ldesc: "The pgtypes shared library is used by programs built with ecpg.
>  (Embedded PostgreSQL for C).
>  .
>  PostgreSQL is an object-relational SQL database management system."
>  category: Libs
>  [test]
>  version: 7.4.5-1
>
>  Are these really test versions or actually old dll versions from the
>  post 8.0.7 area ?

Right, the [test] looks wrong. I'll check it where this comes from.

>  Postgresql 8.1.4-2 is marked as test since more than a year I
>  think. Will it ever be moved to curr or will it eventually be replaced
>  with a completely new version ?

Not to curr.
8.1.4-2 is good, but not good enough for stable.
8.0.7 is really stable, and my redhat servers still run with 7.4.

I'm constantly testing the current versions and used to upload it to my
private setup site. http://rurban.xarch.at/cygr/postgresql/ (new
versions deleted now)

Whenever I feel confident with the package, an update with some fix or
feature enhancement arrives upstream so the build-test cycle begins
again.

8.1.4-2 was a memory hog, 8.2.5-1 was better and very well tested,
8.2.6-1 is the currently best version, but I'm not confident enough to
upload it.
8.3.0 should be really good, but I haven't enough time to test it yet.
--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/              http://murbreak.at/