Re: Long filename support, soon?

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 09:09:42PM -0500, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
Brian Mathis wrote:
I've been running into problems with rsync and "too long" filenames.
I've done the searching and know that it's an issue with the cygwin
library not using the unicode system calls.  Is there a timetable for
when this will be changed?  I know it's a pain, but so is not being
able to use a lot of the great tools cygwin provides because of this
problem.  Anyway, just wanted to ask and also add my vote for support
for this.  Thanks.

It is one of the many enhancements in the forthcoming 1.7 series. And it seems it is also an excruciatingly large task. There is no timetable for 1.7 as a result. But many hands make light work. If you and others you know have hands to lend, I know Corinna has a list of tasks that can use them.

Actually, I don't want to speak for Corinna, but it seems like she is agonizingly close to getting this done. I would predict that there would be something to test in the next week or so.

Well, if she is close, I want to thank her for here efforts. And if she is not close, I want to thank her for her efforts. :-)

Holliston, MA 01746