Reference to absolute path seems broken.

I have a very strange issue in Cygwin, it seems that referring to an
absolute path is sometimes broken.

These examples will probably illustrate the problem:
(from root directory)

(OK)
Mathijs@chef /
$ diff Cygwin.bat Thumbs.db
Binary files Cygwin.bat and Thumbs.db differ

(ERROR)
Mathijs@chef /
$ diff /Cygwin.bat Thumbs.db
/usr/bin/diff: /Cygwin.bat: No such file or directory

Notice the slash before Cygwin.bat. Is this normal?? Other commands
such as 'ls' work fine.

(OK)
Mathijs@chef /
$ diff /Cygwin.bat Thumbs.db
/usr/bin/diff: /Cygwin.bat: No such file or directory

I think this gives me problems when installing other software (caml).
Can somebody help me?

Thanks,
Mathijs