Re: Building C++ program with QT under cygwin

Hi,

one thing at a time.

hce wrote:

I am new to cygwin. I've just installed cygwin for building my C++

I see Cygwin as an emulator. Your program will see Linux but not Windows. But you still can call Windows directly.

and the C++ program was built using macro #ifdef WIN32 for the code of
select(), read() and write() system calls. My understand is that I can
use all linux system calls under cygwin, should I remove all #ifdef
WIN32 in the program and compile with a parameter -unix rather than
win32?

Do not delete those things. Never ever even think of deleting them.

The major issue is the QT package. In linux, I installed a QT package for linux and called the QT gmake to generate a Makefile. On window the QT was installed for window and compiled under window environment. I have got errors when using window QT to generate Makefile under cygwin. How should I use the QT under cygwin? Should I download a unix version QT and build the QT using unix macro under cygwin, or should I still using window QT under cygwin?

You must install QT inside Cygwin if you want to make full use of it.

I have no idea if this will work.

In theory you should be able to use the Windows version. This will make your program even more weird as it itself will behave like a Linux program but the libraries are then a mix of Windows and Linux.

Try to stick either with Cygwin or move to Windows.

Erich