From: Igor Peshansky [mailto:pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu]
Sent: Dienstag, 5. Februar 2008 14:58
To: Jawurek, Marek
Cc: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Setup.exe 2.573.2.2 unable to retrieve mirror list and setup.ini/setup.bz2

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Marek.Jawurek wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I downloaded today´s setup.exe from http://cygwin.com/ and have
> problems running it. I want to run it as a non-administrator-user to
> just download the files. So I say "Just downlioad", then I give it the
> proxy settings for my network.
>
> The first problem is an empty mirror list. Then I add mirror urls and
> try to proceed but it is unable to retrieve the setup.bz2/.ini from
> any of the different mirrors. I checked the setup.log but it does not
> give any error codes or reasons why downloading failed. I appended my
> complete mirror log. I am running WinXP Professional SP2.
>
> Of course I searched the mailinglist. The posts that resembled my
> problem were answered with "Try another mirror". Well I tried all the
> mirrors in this log in my Firefox. I double-checked the proxy settings.
> Is there a way to make setup.exe output errors in more detail ?

/var/log/setup.log.full is pretty much it.  However, setup is not really doing anything very sophisticated -- it tries to retrieve http://cygwin.com/mirrors.lst using the connection method specified.  The errors indicate that it was unable to connect.

Trying another mirror doesn't help because setup cannot even retrieve the mirror list from cygwin.com.

Can you retrieve the contents of the above URL using your browser (IE, in particular)?  If not, first get that to work, and then try setup again.
If you can, then there may be a problem with setup, since I see that you're using IE5 settings to connect.  Another option is to try "Direct connection".
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor.  That is the whole Torah; the rest is commentary.  Go and study it." -- Rabbi Hillel