Help with Make

Hi, first post in here.

Im not a very experienced C programmer, and Im fiddling with make. I
have the following make file (entitled Makefile):

fusionTK.exe : main.o fusionFileIO.o fusionAlgorithms.o
        gcc main.o fusionFileIO.o fusionAlgorithms.o -o fusionTK.exe

main.o : main.c fusionDefs.h
        gcc -c main.c fusionDefs.h

fusionFileIO.o: fusionFileIO.c fusionDefs.h
        gcc -c fusionFileIO.c fusionDefs.h

fusionAlgorithms.o: fusionAlgorithms.c fusionDefs.h
        gcc -c fusionAlgorithms.c fusionDefs.h

Which as far as I can tell is all well and good, but when I execute
make, it comes back with the error:
"make: *** No rule to make target `main.c', needed by `main.o'.
Stop."

have I put something in the wrong place?

Im running this on WinXP pro with cygwin installed.
Also, if I remove the main.c and fusionDefs.h from the main.o
dependencies, it runs the command associated with main.o :"gcc - c
main.c fusionDefs.h" and then complains that the gcc command is not
found. I can quite happily run GCC directly from the command line.