Re: bash's builtin "test" command kills bash on Windows Server 2003 R2

Brian J. Johnson wrote:
I've encountered an odd problem installing cygwin on Windows Server 2003 R2, Enterprise x64 edition. This is a default installation of cygwin from yesterday on a fresh Windows installation on a Xen VM hosted by SLES10SP1.

The installer runs normally, but most of the postinstall scripts fail. I eventually traced the problem to a failure with bash's builtin "test" and "[" commands.

If I run a basic "test" command like this:

$ test -e /

then the shell simply exits, without printing any error messages. There are no errors reported in the Windows error log. If I try this:

$ test -e / ; echo hi

then the shell exits without echoing, and without printing any error messages. If I use the external test command:

$ /bin/test -e / ; echo hi

then "hi" is echoed as expected. This happens with almost all arguments to "test" that I've tried... even "test 1" kills the shell in the same way. However, just "test" with no arguments doesn't trigger the problem.

Cygwin1.dll and bash from various time periods fail in the same way. Cygwin versions which work on other machines with other versions of Windows fail on this machine. So it appears to be an issue with this particular Windows installation.

Any suggestions on what to try? I see from the mailing list that others have cygwin working on Windows Server 2003 64-bit.

Cygcheck output is below. Strace output available on request. (Note that cygcheck shows Microsoft's SUA is installed. It failed the same way before and after I installed SUA.)

Thanks,

What does 'type -a test' say? Are you sure you're not getting something from SUA?

Holliston, MA 01746