path and .exe issue after initial installation

Hi,

I've just now installed a fresh Windows XP installation.
I've also just now installed a fresh install of the latest stable
Cygwin downloaded from cygwin.com

After install, I usually need to check out a CVS tree but when trying
to run any command I get a "command not found" type result. That said,
yes I've added c:\cygwin\bin to the ENV PATH.

Now, if I cd /bin and type the command ./ls.exe I get the list of the
directory, but if I try something like ./cvs.exe .. I get the bash
again. Meaning, no output.

$ /bin/cvs.exe --help also shows no output and just jumps to the next
line in bash.

Any ideas why this fresh install isn't working as expected?

Shai