Re: ps executable does not appear to match source

Chris January wrote:

> I would rather see a patch that added Windows pids to /proc than only
> to procps. Then the functionality would be available to other
> programs, like top.

Agree.

> To support scripts that rely on the format and options of the old
> Cygwin ps we could add a new 'Cygwin' personality to procps.

Ugh.  It seems to me like 'ps' has already been littered with so many
incompatible or conflicting option sets over the years that perpetuating
yet another into history seems like a travesty.  Can't we just add
support for -W to procps for WINPID and then declare that Cygwin's 'ps'
option set is now the same as Linux's?  After all, WJM.  As far as
options, the common ones (-a/-e/-l/-f/-p/-u) seem to overlap mostly; the
column order and layout are of course slightly different between the two
but I can't really see a portable script being able to rely on that
anyway.

Brian