Re: problem in compiling c program

A million thanks: your suggestion solved a problem that had
bedevilled one of my coworkers for several weeks. Details
below in case they help someone else....

On 2008-01-22 10:09Z, Dave Korn wrote:
> On 22 January 2008 09:08, Alexander(Wei) Yin wrote:
>
>> However, when I tried to compile the hello world program which is called
>> "hello.c" by "gcc -Wall hello.c -o hello", the compiler seemed to be not
>> working. There's no executable and no error/warning as well. I have
>> re-install the cygwin for several times and the problem is still there.

Our problem was not obviously identical: 'diff' simply
failed, returning 53:
  make[2]: *** [target_that_uses_diff] Error 53
so, once we had isolated it as a 'diff' issue, we tried
'cygcheck'...

>   This could be a missing dll.  Check if you maybe are missing cygintl-8.dll
> by running
>
>      cygcheck `which gcc`

In our case, it was a different suffix version:

$ cygcheck /usr/bin/diff.exe
[...]
Error: could not find cygintl-2.dll

>   If that shows it as missing you should be able to re-run setup.exe and just
> click 'Next' all the way through to get it to refresh any missing files from
> your installation.

We had tried removing Cygwin completely, then reinstalling,
but that didn't work. The key is to run setup once, then
run it again without uninstalling.

>  Otherwise, run
>
>    cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out
>
> and send the cygcheck.out file - as an attachment, please, not body text - to
> the list.

I had compared her 'cygcheck.out' to my own, but didn't
perceive the importance of this. For the record, she had
  cygintl-3.dll
and
  cygintl-8.dll
but not
  cygintl-2.dll
and I figured she must have updated anything that needed
the '-2' version.

Following your recipe fixed a problem that was threatening
to hold up a release of our software, so thanks again.