Base packages appear to be missing from fresh setup install

Base packages appear to be missing from fresh setup install

The problem in short:

I run setup and download everything onto a removable hard disk; I move the disk to a computer without network for a clean install;
I run setup from local directory, using default choices;
OUTCOME: nothing gets installed
EXPECTED OUTCOME: the base stuff would get installed
APPARENT REASON: the "base" category is missing from what I downloaded
OTHER THINGS I TRIED: re-downloading everything from other mirrors too
QUESTION: is there a known problem with the distribution sites?

Further details:

OUTCOME: the cygwin directory gets created, and in it the usual bunch of other dirs such as bin, etc, lib, tmp and so on; but /bin is empty and so are most others; the only files found in the whole tree are logs such as those in /etc/setup. Setup finishes by saying "nothing needed to be installed".

APPARENT REASON: when I run setup.exe, at the "Select packages" stage there is no Base category. There's
All
Accessibility
Admin
Archive
Audio
Database
Devel
Docs
so it's no surprise that the base stuff doesn't get installed.

OTHER THINGs I TRIED: I had an older "setup directory with all possible files" from a few months back, when I did that exercise for another computer; I checked the sizes: the old one was 911 MB with 834 directories and the new one only 608 MB with 710 directories. This suggested that some things might be missing from my latest download. Indeed, if I do setup from local dir using the old bunch of files, the list does contain a base category. So I tried re-downloading the lot from other mirrors. Got exactly the same number of files and directories from all three (ftp.inf.tu-dresden.de, ftp.uni-kl.de, www.mirrorservice.org).

QUESTIONS:

Is anyone else experiencing the problem? IE you download a full set and notice it's incomplete and won't install?

If three mirrors all serve a download set that doesn't work, is the problem possibly at the root distribution site?

Would it be possible for the cygwin team to publish the list of packages of the full distribution on their web site, so that one could check whether what one is getting contains everything that it should? (And possibly setup could perform such an integrity-check-of-the-set automatically at some point in the future.)

Thanks for any advice