Cygwin/Windows/DOS integration: Tips and Tricks

These are an assortment of command lines, shortcuts, and such things
that I use to launch Cygwin tools from Windows Explorer, and from
console-mode programs, both native Win32 msvcrt-based and DOS. I offer
them to you all for whatever they are worth (if anything). I run these
under Windows XP Pro; some of them will likely work under 9x/ME as
well.

                                  ~~~

PATHS AND ENVIRONMENT

I've found that most of the console-mode Cygwin tools that I use run
just fine without being invoked by BASH; consequently, I have the
Cygwin binaries directories in my command path, and several environment
variables that Cygwin and specific Cygwin tools use; all of these are
set system wide. On Win XP Pro, these settings are accessed through "My
Computer/Properties/Advanced/Environment Variables/System Variables".
You will of course need Administrator access to modify these. I do not
recall if Win 9x has a GUI for setting environment variables (and I've
never had a chance to try ME), but 9x/ME will run autoexec.bat on
startup if it is found in the root directory of the boot drive;
environment variables set there will be available system-wide.

BASH inherits this environmnt when it starts up. $PATH is converted
somewhere in the startup process by something functionally equivalent
to 'cygpath -p'. Since many Win32 and DOS console-mode programs run
fine under BASH, I want BASH to preserve the $PATH it inherits, but to
add a few Cygwin directories to the front of it:

--------------------
PATH="/usr/local/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/sbin/awk:$PATH"
--------------------

Sure, /bin and /usr/local/bin are now seen twice in the $PATH string,
but it seems to harm nothing. This path statement insures that BASH
looks for Cygwin tools and apps first.

Other system-wide environment variables set for use by Cygwin and
Cygwin tools have path strings in POSIX format:

BASH_ENV=/etc/profile
HOME=/home
LYNX_CFG=~/lynx.cfg
SHELL=/bin/bash

To simplify path strings (including the $PATH string that BASH
inherits), explicitly mount each drive on your system:

$ mount -ft 'D:' /d

$ mount
[...]