Re: Installation problem with Windows Server 2008

On Dec 19, 2007 9:31 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Dec 19 08:54, Nimish Pachapurkar wrote:
> > On Dec 19, 2007 8:39 AM, Corinna Vinschen <XXXXXXXXXXXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX> wrote:
>

> http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR

Sorry about the mail id. I will take care henceforth.

> > I was under the impression that server 2008 is based on Vista and
> > Cygwin already works on Vista. Obviously, they are sufficiently
> > different.
>
> I have 2K8 RC1 installed myself and I see these strange hangs, too.
> There are at least three different types of hangs when running a Cygwin
> process.  None of these hangs occur with non-Cygwin processes, nor do
> they occur in Vista (not even in the SP1 RC1 version).  Strange enough,
> these hangs occur when calling OS functions and these OS functions are
> taking the CPU time, apparently.  At this point in time I hope this is
> just one tiny bug in RC1 which will be fixed.

I tried a slightly older version of server 2008. I am not sure which
one it is - most likely RC0. And Cygwin works like a charm. I have no
clue what's the big difference between the two.

I tried Version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1, v.275) and Cygwin
works. (Probably RC0)
I tried Version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1, v.667) and Cygwin fails. (RC1)

I also think it is a bug that will hopefully go away soon. Hope this
is useful to others.

--
 Nimish