Re: Wish Setup would accept my Perl

Michael Kairys <kairys <at> comcast.net> writes:

> I would prefer to maintain only one Perl installation and would in fact
> be perfectly happy to dump AS in favor of Cygwin if I could do so without
> major pain. You have encouraged me to at least give it a try.

Well, I gave it a try, and I can see that ain't gonna happen :)

I reran setup and let it install perl and whatever else it wanted to (so I now
have ruby and phython as well); then I began running scripts under both perls.
I quickly realized AS perl exec's cmd.exe whilst Cygwin perl exec's sh, so
much of my system and backquote constructs broke. I also noticed that ENV
{PATH} and ENV{HOME} return Windows or Unix syntax paths, depending. The
Cygwin perl builtins like chdir and chmod were quite happy with Windows paths,
as I would expect.

As an aside, there seems to be something broken in my installation re. Tk (or
perhaps I'm missing something). If I run a script containing (only) "use Tk" I
get: Can't load '/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin/auto/Tk/Tk.dll' for
module Tk: No such file or directory
at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/cygwin/DynaLoader.pm line 230.

... however /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin/auto/Tk/Tk.dll is in fact
there.

So given that I "should" keep Cygwin perl around (meaning that someday I'm
likely to regret it if I don't :) and that I'm going to keep AS perl as well,
I need to find the best way for them to coexist. I think the suggestion made
elsewhere in this thread (sorry, I forget who made it) that I forego "perl -S"
in favor of shebang is good; I find that #!/local/perl/bin/perl finds my AS
perl (which is in D:\Local\Perl, and D:\Local is mounted on /local). ASsuming
Cygwin correctly shebangs any scripts it needs to use, I can remove AS perl
from my Cygwin path (as set in .bashrc) but leave it in my Windows path (as
set via the Control Panel) and as I understand it to date, everything should
work. If I don't in fact understand it (not unlikely :) please advise.

But given my "programmer's OCD" I will probably keep poking at why my AS
scripts don't run on Cygwin perl, so any advice about setting it up, why Tk
doesn't work, etc. would be appreciated (as are all your comments).