Re: New to cygwin

Hi,

Tomasz Jankowski wrote:

I'm completely new to cygwin (and generally to programming for the MS Windows too). I'm working on a library and I need to use some socket API in it. I decided to prepare port for win32, but it's much harder, that I thought.

the basic socket API of Windows and cygwin is the same based on Berkeley.

I would not recommend to use cygwin if you want to write a plain Windows program.

I would recommend to use cygwin if you want to write a program for multiple platforms.

4. How does  the performance look? Will my library have really poorer
performance if I use cygwin instead of winsock API?

This is a minor problem for thinks like this.

What is your programming background?

Erich