utf-8 and cygwin

I would like to reopen the discussion about utf-8 support in cygwin.

SIXTEEN months passed since there were some exchanges about it
on the cygwin mail list.

The lack of support for filenames with non-Latin1 characters is
currently the MOST SEVERE LIMITATION of cygwin in my opinion.

Due to the international nature of internet more and more of us
are getting all sorts of files with utf-8 filenames.

In presence of such files in our file systems, all the basic
commands are broken (ls, cp, mv, diff, rsync, et cetera).

This becomes more and more annoying with every passing day.

What is the current situation? When can we expect that
this problem gets resolved?

By the way, is there a cygwin command that is equivalent
to DOS `dir /x' (which shows 'short' filenames)?

Mariusz Wodzicki