Re: Reliable old script... AVS problem - RESOLUTION

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 10:40:27AM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:
> On 16 November 2007 09:45, Thomas Baker wrote:
> > I uninstalled Anti-Vir [1], and the script has run hundreds
> > of times on several different data sources with no errors yet,
> > so this may indeed be the problem!
>
>   There's another one for the list then I guess.  Ouch.  Nothing's worse than
> data loss.

Further testing strongly suggests (so far) that the problem
is indeed caused by Anti-Vir.  The solution, however, appears
to be as simple as configuring Anti-Vir to check files only
upon reading, _not_ upon writing.  (I was going to try AVG,
but that no longer seems necessary.)

Four weeks and three machines later, at least I know now.
Can anyone explain why check-on-write would cause this problem
-- maybe because Anti-Vir was holding up writing to disk
until after the next command in my script had been executed
and had tried to read the file that was not yet written?

Though not a "Cygwin problem" per se, I'm guessing that
other people must have this problem as well - maybe a line
of explanation could be added to future BLODA lists and/or
the Cygwin FAQ.

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my
postings.

Tom Baker

--
Tom Baker - tbaker@tbaker.de - baker@sub.uni-goettingen.de