ssh and vista

I've just got a brand new machine with vista.  On my previous machines (WinXP) I've installed cygwin to ssh to my linux box, without any problems.  I've installed cygwin and openssh on the new machine and things seem to work fine, BUT once I've logged on to the other machine with ssh I can do simple things like ls and cd, while it seems that any command which transfers more text (like ls -la, for instance) just stalls the ssh connection.  The only way to cancel out is to close the window.

Is this a known problem, or is vista my problem?

National Bingo Night. Play along for the chance to win $10,000 every week. Download your gamecard now at Yahoo!7 TV. http://au.blogs.yahoo.com/national-bingo-night/