Re: Problem with Cygwin Include Files

On 10/23/07, Corinna Vinschen  wrote:
> On Oct 22 17:59, Larry Adams wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > The problem is that /usr/include/cygwin/icmp.h is blank and needs to be
> > "non-blank".

- - - - words . . . - - - -

> It doesn't contain anything for a couple of reasons.
>
> - For ICMP you need raw sockets, but raw sockets were never really
>   supported in Cygwin.
> - Windows disallows non-admin users to use them which makes them
>   somewhat less useful.
> - There are not a lot of complaints about this fact so I assume
>   not many people really need it.
>
> And last but not least
>
> - Nobody contributed any code so far.
>
>   http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI
>   http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC
>   http://cygwin.com/contrib.html
>

> Corinna
>
> --
> Cygwin Project Co-Leader          cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
> Red Hat

The perl Net::Ping module had a similar problem (see
http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=42739 for details).

These suggestions were implemented by the creation of the
Win32::PingICMP module which taps icmp.dll to circumvent the "you must
be admin" limitation.

I have neither the ability nor the desire to look in to recreating in
cygwin what icmp.dll and Win32::PingICMP do for Windows and perl.

I'm just letting other folks know that it is probably possible and
perhaps not that painful.

-Jason