Re: Problem with -i ignore-file option in version 6.9 ptx in cygwin environment

Graig wrote:
Eric -

In that original email your were replying to John Cowan, so I thought you
were talking about coding approaches. From your message posted to the Cygwin
list, I take it you were offering me, the end user, a way to solve the
problem.

I know about d2u and could use that now that I know what the problem is, but I'm not familiar with binary vs text mounts on a Windows system. I'm referencing the ignore file with the command line option of "--ignore-file=ptx_ignore.txt". How do I involve a text mount with that?

text/binary modes are controlled through the Cygwin mount points.  See the
Users Guide sections below to get more detail:

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-textbinary.html>
<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mount>

Another aspect of this problem from the end user point of view is the
different behavior in the handling of the ignore file vs the main data input
file. I constructed both files in the same way (using vim on Windows). ptx
reads and processes the standard input just fine, but from the user's point
of view, just ignores the content of the ignore file. :-)

If you're using Cygwin's vim, then this won't write text format files by
default.  So see your ~/.vimrc or global vimrc file for settings that make
it use text mode.  If you're talking about the Windows port of vim, then
that's likely your problem.  Set "fileformat=unix" in your ~/.vimrc file
to avoid this pitfall.

If nothing else, it would help if the man page for ptx had something
about  this issue.

This is a general Windows issue, not a ptx problem.  If you feel this
needs to be done, you can champion the cause but it's better if you take
it upstream.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746