RE: Bad EXE format (error 193)

On 04 October 2007 14:59, Dave Korn wrote:

> On 04 October 2007 14:56, Dave Korn wrote:
>
>> On 04 October 2007 14:21, Lynn Winebarger wrote:
>>
>>>    I am trying to get the Larceny Scheme compiler
>>> (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/will/Larceny/) to compile (and work)
>>> under the most recent stable Cygwin release.  While I have managed to
>>> get it to produce a file that very closely resembles a PE file, it
>>> apparently is not close enough to satisfy Windows XP Home Edition SP 2.
>>>    Unfortunately, objdump and other file analyzers have no problem
>>> with the file, while none of the debuggers I tried had anything
>>> helpful to say about the problem.  I have compiled other things under
>>> Cygwin (PLT Scheme, for example) that not only produced an executable
>>> image but produced one Windows would actually run.  I have tried doing
>>> a diff against the headers between this and the Larceny image and
>>> cannot see a glaring error (but I am not an expert in either Windows
>>> executables or Larceny's source code).
>>>     I cannot find anything helpful on this error in the mailing list
>>> archives.  Is there a tool that would identify the problem, or maybe a
>>> kind expert with some guidance on resolving this issue?
>>
>>   We might be able to make guesses at what was wrong with the compiled
>> program if you told us *in what way* it is "not close enough to satisfy
>> Windows XP".
>
>   Ah.  And I just took a closer look at the subject line.  So I'm guessing
> you see an error message along those lines, yes?  Hm.  Does it still happen
> if you compile the most basic sort of "hello world" program?

  It might also be informative to run "cygcheck <path-to-exe>" on your
compiled executable; that'll display the dependent DLLs for you.  A bit of
googling suggests that 193 can be caused by a corrupt/bogus executable, but
equally by a good executable thatt depends on a DLL which is faulty.

    cheers,
      DaveK