Bad EXE format (error 193)

   I am trying to get the Larceny Scheme compiler
(http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/will/Larceny/) to compile (and work)
under the most recent stable Cygwin release.  While I have managed to
get it to produce a file that very closely resembles a PE file, it
apparently is not close enough to satisfy Windows XP Home Edition SP
2.
   Unfortunately, objdump and other file analyzers have no problem
with the file, while none of the debuggers I tried had anything
helpful to say about the problem.  I have compiled other things under
Cygwin (PLT Scheme, for example) that not only produced an executable
image but produced one Windows would actually run.  I have tried doing
a diff against the headers between this and the Larceny image and
cannot see a glaring error (but I am not an expert in either Windows
executables or Larceny's source code).
    I cannot find anything helpful on this error in the mailing list
archives.  Is there a tool that would identify the problem, or maybe a
kind expert with some guidance on resolving this issue?

Thanks,
Lynn