Re: Home directory

Paul McFerrin wrote:

Gmain User wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin <reply-to-list-only-lh <at> cygwin.com> writes:
[lines deleted]
There's no reason to fear this.  I have all sorts of Cygwin
installation where the root drive is not C:.  It works just fine.
Larry Hall:

When having multiple copies of Cygwin installed on your hard drive, how do you handle the issue of mounts? With mounts being handled thru the registry, how can you handle multiple and completely different set of mounts and not affect the other instances of Cygwin? Or maybe you are referring to multiple installations on different machines.

I was actually just referring to having more than 1 machine with a Cygwin
installation that isn't rooted under C:.  Doing this works fine.  There
is, of course, a concern if you're going to keep two separate installs of
Cygwin on the same machine.  This isn't recommended but can handled by a
script that changes your path and mounts to point to one installation or
the other.  Of course, this means you should not be running anything from
one install when switching to the other (or after switching either).  It's
worth noting that it's extremely rare to _need_ to keep two versions of
Cygwin around for active use. Those who may find themselves with such a
need are encouraged to report the problem to the list so a resolution can
be found.  The alternative is being forever stranded in the past, which
isn't a big help to anyone.  Oh and keeping two version of Cygwin around
means you have an unsupported configuration so you're on your own when
problems do pop up.  Not a nice place to be. ;-)

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746