Re: setup.exe deleted some files

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 08:32:26AM -0400, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
Paul McFerrin wrote:
Can you really *expect* that someone running B20 for 5+ years can
remember from "which package" to select so you will not lose a
particular program that you've been using for years.  Heck I didn't
even know it was part of the "linux" util package.  I never used a
Linus system before.  The "cal" command was introduced back in SVR2
days (~1976)! Way before Linux came on the scene! Yes, I'm showing my
age.

No I don't expect you to remember details of your ancient install. I would expect that you'd recognize that quite allot has likely changed in the interim and that you might need to do a little leg-work to get everything you had back to the way you like it. I don't believe Cygwin is unusual in this respect. Any 6+ year old distribution is going to have changes that may seem a little jarring to those that may be seeking to have everything just the way they had it. Of course, if you feel that these realities don't live up to your expectations, you are free to stick with the versions you have for as long as they do what you want.

There's all that plus the fact that B20 didn't actually have "packages" anyway. That was more-or-less the point of subsequent releases - allowing people to choose what they wanted.

Indeed. Why did I forget that? ;-) I guess that provides others who want to upgrade from B20 to something current another way of getting all that they're likely to want/need/be used to - install everything.

Gulp. Now the flood gates have been opened! ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746