Re: what does the plus sign in a ls -l listing indicate?

Jerome Fong wrote:

> Sorry, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.  Using the ls -la
> command, I get a listing of the files in my directory.  However, I have
> files with a "+" sign after their permissions.  What does this mean?  It
> doesn't seem to show up in ls examples  on the web.

The ls documentation explains it as:

     Following the file mode bits is a single character that specifies
     whether an alternate access method such as an access control list
     applies to the file.  When the character following the file mode
     bits is a space, there is no alternate access method.  When it is
     a printing character, then there is such a method.

In the context of Cygwin this means the files have ACLs that do not map
exactly to the POSIX ugo/rwx modes.  This is typical of files created by
native/non-Cygwin apps as they tend to not specify any particular
permissions to the filesystem and instead just inherit the default from
the directory.  You can use getfacl/setfacl, cacls/xcacls, etc. to view
them.

Brian