Re: sftp removing writable bit

Thorsten Kampe wrote:
* Andrew DeFaria (Wed, 12 Sep 2007 22:49:49 -0700)
Thorsten Kampe wrote:
* Andrew DeFaria (Wed, 12 Sep 2007 08:48:58 -0700)
John J. Culkin wrote:
I am seeing an issue with Cygwin's sftp. It seems that after I upload
a file that overwrites an existing file, the writable bit is removed.
This prevents me from uploading a new version of the file.

The files are owned by the SFTP user.

Any Ideas?
No ideas but a question. What is sftp good for? I mean what does it have
over say... scp?
You can use your favourite FTP client, right?!
As opposed to just typing scp? I still don't get it...

Yes. Some clients (by coincidence my favourite ones) like yafc, lftp and SpeedCommander do sftp. Lftp even does fish (which I think is "pure" scp/ssh).
I guess I'm saying is that if yafc, lftp and SpeedCommander can do sftp then scp will also work (no?). Conceptually I would think "copy this file" and relate that to a "cp" of sorts before an "ftp" of sorts. I use ncftp, when ftp is the only way, which doesn't do sftp (I think). Although ncftp can use ftp to copy a file or set of files in one command many ftp clients can't (perhaps yafc, lftp and SpeedCommander can do this - I don't know). What are the chances that those other sftp type clients are available on say the Solaris or Linux clients/servers of a client I'm working for? Much less than the possibility of scp being present. And I'm not necessarily against the idea of "well go out and get a working copy of these programs" but often clients do not give consultants that privilege.

To each his own - we all have our own reasons for our picks of favorites (even if sometimes the reasons are not very well thought out).
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Future historians will be able to study at the Gerald Ford Library; the Jimmy Carter Library; the Ronald Reagan Library and the Bill Clinton Adult Bookstore.