Re: trouble starting syslogd

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 28 August 2007 15:49, Will Parsons wrote:
>
>> I had a working syslogd on my computer at work, but now the computer has
>> been replaced (the IT department copied over the contents from the old
>> computer)
>
>   Please god they didn't use the 'doze "Files and Settings transfer wizard".
> That totally messed up all my symlinks when I used it once.
>
>> Configuration finished. Have fun!
>> 151$ ls -l /etc/syslog.conf
>> -rwx------+ 1 wbp Domain Users 472 May 15 10:42 /etc/syslog.conf
>> 152$ chmod +r /etc/syslog.conf
>> 153$ chmod -x /etc/syslog.conf
>> 154$ ls -l /etc/syslog.conf
>> -rw-r--r--+ 1 wbp Domain Users 472 May 15 10:42 /etc/syslog.conf
>> 155$ cygrunsrv -L
>> syslogd
>> 156$ cygrunsrv -S syslogd
>> cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1062:
>> The service has not been started.
>
>   You need to take a look in the windows event log and see if you can find a
> more detailed error message there.

I did that, but it doesn't help me:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( syslogd ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information
or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be
able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and
Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
syslogd: PID 2720: `syslogd' service stopped, exit status: 0.

>> I've chmod'ed the files in /var/log so as to be readable and writable by
>> all.
>
>   Yeh, can't see anything immediately obviously wrong yet.  Maybe you could
> rerun the config, but this time answer 'yes' when it asks if it should
> overwrite the .conf file - save a copy of your current one, by all means, but
> it's a worthwhile experiment to try and narrow down the source of the trouble.

I renamed syslog.conf and re-ran syslogd-config to re-generate it, but with
the same effect, so I don't think I'm any further along.

- Will