RE: pinfo-0.6.9-1 -- Size and Crash

Dr. Volker Zell wrote on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 10:59 AM:

>     > (2) Crash
>
>     > This is more serious.  However, since I cannot imagine pinfo
>     could be > crashing without others having already reported it, I
>     expect that it is > a problem with my installation and I'd
>     appreciate hints (or, better yet, > explicit instructions) as to
>     how I might trouble-shoot it.
>
> I have found it crashes when there is no dir file in the directories
> pointed to by INFOPATH:
>
> For example my packages xemacs-sumo and xemacs-mule-sumo both have
> info directories which are used by xemacs but by default have no dir
> file.
>
> 04:51 PM [544]> INFOPATH=/usr/share/xemacs/xemacs-packages/info pinfo
> Przemek's Info Viewer v0.6.9 *** starting debugger for pid 4812, tid
> 5032

Thanks for your response.  As it happens, I played with it this morning
and tried updating the dir file.  That fixed it.  (Coincidently, I
finished just about the time that your email arrive!)

For the archives, the following seemed to fix the problem for me.  I
ignore the error messages.

	/> rm /usr/share/info/dir
	/> /bin/find /usr -iname \*.info\* | sed -e 's,^,install-info
--dir-file=/usr/share/info/dir --info-file=,' | sh -s
	/>

Thanks again for your response,

- Barry