how to run "make check" (bug in FAQ)

Folks:

In order to test a patch for cygwin that I wrote, I've been following the directions to build cygwin myself, from http://cygwin.com/ faq.html "How do I build Cygwin on my own?".

It worked to build, and then I wanted to run the tests, so followed these directions:

> To check a cygwin1.dll, run "make check" in the winsup/testsuite directory.

The first problem is that src/winsup/testsuite doesn't have a Makefile. However, the it has a Makefile.in, so I build a Makefile from that...

Okay, the next problem is that src/winsup/testsuite/configure is not executable.

After chmod +x ./configure and executing "./configure --prefix=/oss/ install", then there is a Makefile, but when I run "make check", it fails with:

> make: *** No rule to make target `/oss/src/winsup/cygwin/ Makefile', needed by `/oss/src/winsup/cygwin/cygwin0.dll'. Stop.

I see that /oss/src/winsup/cygwin/ contains a Makefile.in but no Makefile, so I ran the same "./configure" command line in that directory, then returned to /oss/src/winsup/testsuite and ran "make check" again.

Now it ends with

> make [1]: *** No rule to make target '/oss/src/winsup/w32api/lib/ libkernel32.a', needed by `cygwin0.dll'. Stop.

I don't immediately see how to build that lib, and it is also apparent that I've left the beaten track, so I'm submitting this e- mail and awaiting clarification of the "make check" process.

Thanks!

Regards

Zooko