RE: Looking for man pages

On 07 August 2007 16:00, Bob McConnell wrote:

>>> I tried to
>>> use info, but can't make heads nor tails of the navigation methods for
>>> that atrocity.
>>
>>   Use the cursor keys to scroll around the page.  Press Enter to follow a
>> link, 'l' to go back in the history, 'u' to go up a level in the hierarchy.
>>
>>   Try using these instructions to help you read "info info"!
>
> I tried "info make" and then '?'.

  That's exactly NOT what I was suggesting.  That's the quick reference for
people who are already familiar with the info viewer.  I was suggesting you
read the actual manual, which has introductory and tutorial sections.

> The first nuisance was not being able
> to scroll a line at a time. Having the page jump up half a screen when I
> got to the bottom was jarring. But it was the 20 pages of emacs key maps
> that actually convinced me I was barking up the wrong tree. Life is too
> precious to waste like that. In my case I prefer to spend what little
> time I have left with my grandchildren.

  You're being neurotically self-defeating.  If you think you have to memorize
20 pages of bizarre key combinations, *YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG*.

  Learn the half-dozen simplest commands:  cursor keys, space, del, 'n', 'p'
and 'b' for navigation, and '/' for searching.  That's 99.9% of all you'll
ever need.  Pretend the rest just doesn't exist, if it scares you so much.

    cheers,
      DaveK