Re: links

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On Jul 31 21:33, wynfield@gmail.com wrote:
> > I never noticed  .lnk externsion files in my /cygwin directories, but now I
> > seem to have a lot.   Also there are the links that show up with the
> > permission flags and pointer -> as shown below.
> >
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 djh Users  19 Jul 16 09:33 /bin/db_hotbackup.exe -> db4.5_hotbackup.exe
> > -rwxr-x---+ 1 djh Users 343 Jun 30 23:38 /bin/db_load.exe.lnk
> >
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 ???????? Users        7 Jun 30 23:35 uniqleaf -> texexec
> > -rwxr-x---+ 1 djh      Users   975360 Jul  7 03:18 unison-2.13.exe
> > -rwxr-x---+ 1 djh      Users      145 May 25 10:21 unison.exe.lnk
> > With this when I try to build a program, ie, emacs, it dies saying
> > it can not find png.h
> >
> > Any help and advice is appreciated.
>

> You probably removed the R/O attribute from the .lnk files.  It's
> essential for shortcats to be recognized as Cygwin symlinks.  Try
> something along the lines of

What is the "R/O" attribute.

Are you saying that these new fangled so called cygwin symbolic links, that is files with 32, 64 bytes or whatever in them are "cygwin" specific and not portable.

For example I can run a --> link from a dos window with no problem, etc,..

An explanation of why this ".lnk" ism came into being.

I, as I user do not think its justified, but somebody had the idea and sold it, but apparently, we, users were not informed or asked about it.

I has also broke other programs that ran fine with, well symbolic limks.  The kind we are used to and do not need ".lnk" extensions for.

What is the rationale for introducing this monster....  or is there a good one.

Please let us all know.

Regards

P.s. should not need all that nonsense below..    And sorry to say I am not familiar with this r attribute, except as a read(r)permission.  Is the group intentionally trying to be obtuse?

>   cd /usr/include
>   attrib +r png.h.lnk
>
> or, for a bulk conversion
>
>   find / -xdev -name '*.lnk' -exec attrib +r '{}' \;
>
> and see if it helps.
>

> Corinna

Regards