Re: perl5.8.8 SEGfault and corrupt stack

On 7/28/07, Reini Urban <rurban@x-ray.at> wrote:
> Reini Urban schrieb:
> > Linda Walsh schrieb:
> >>  I'm having problems with perl5.8.8.  I tried running it under gdb, but
> >> it won't load:
> >>  > gdb perl.exe
> >> GNU gdb 6.3.50_2004-12-28-cvs (cygwin-special)
> >> (gdb) g
> >> Undefined command: "g".  Try "help".
> >> (gdb) run
> >> Starting program: /usr/bin/perl.exe
> >>
> >> Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> >> 0x610b48b6 in pthread_key_create () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
> >
> > Cannot reproduce. Is this a fresh re-install without site_perl or with
> > your broken setup as stated in perl5-porters?
>
> Since this is now a confirmed bug for 5.8.8
> http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/perl5-porters/2007-07/msg01215.html
> I'll prepare an update soon. When the fix is available.
>
> > $ gdb perl.exe
> > GNU gdb 6.5.50.20060706-cvs (cygwin-special)
> > Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you
> > are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> > conditions.
> > Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> > There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
> > This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin"...Minimal symbols from
> > perl.exe... (no debugging symbols found)
> >
> > (gdb) run -e'print 1'
> > Starting program: /usr/bin/perl.exe -e'print 1'
> > Loaded symbols for /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/ntdll.dll
> > Loaded symbols for /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/kernel32.dll
> > Loaded symbols for /bin/cygwin1.dll
> > Loaded symbols for /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/advapi32.dll
> > Loaded symbols for /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/rpcrt4.dll
> > Loaded symbols for /bin/cygperl5_8.dll
> > Loaded symbols for /bin/cygcrypt-0.dll
> > 1
> > Program exited normally.
> >
> >> I also tried profiling a perl file:
> >>
> >> law/perl> perl -d:DProf show.pl -s
> >>      8 [main] perl 3192 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Error while
> >> dumping state (
> >> probably corrupted stack)
> >> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> >>
> >> Any ideas on causes...fixes?...
> >> Thanks,
> >> Linda
> >
> > I would try a rebaseall
> >
> >> cygcheck output attached -- could NOT include it -- Tbird kept crashing.
> >> (1st try composed message, copied in text, tried to address, and I'd
> >> typed "c" and it autocompleted cygwin... first of 3 dropdown items.
> >> That hung...full cpu usage.  (lost email)
> >> (2nd try, recomposed email, *saved*, then tried to address it: another
> >> hang.
> >> (3rd try, put in to addr 1st!...then tried to paste text into
> >> window..3rd hang
> >> (4th try, try to "re-edit" the saved message -- that hangs (I can
> >> display it in
> >> my Drafts folder), soooooo....
> >> 5th try: just put in body and attach cygcheck_output.txt as an
> [...]

I want to Know why in the original message, PATHS are set at c:\...
and not something like C:\Cygwin-bin\...

Tried that once and it kept dumping on me... figured out that you
either a) have to install on a virgin drive or b) have to install in a
subdir of your boot drive (or some other drive) -- having cygwin
installed like that causes all sorts of problems.

I think its windows, but that could just be me

--
Morgan gangwere

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.