Re: proftpd as a service under 2003

Chris Stromsoe wrote:

>> How did you setup proftpd as service?
>
> cygrunsrv --install proftpd --path /usr/sbin/proftpd.exe --args
> "nodaemon" --type auto --disp "Cygwin proftpd" --desc "ProFTP FTP
> daemon" --user sshd_server -e CYGWIN="ntsec"

Is that a typo? the option nodaemon is written as --nodaemon or -n.

> "cygrunsrv --start proftpd" after that fails.

> If I run without specifying --user, proftpd runs as SYSTEM.  It does not
> change users at all.  If I log in with other users and upload files, the
> files all end up owned by the SYSTEM user.

I know all about that, but you can see your result, the error message you posted
clearly states that the user could not change to SYSTEM... again: did you
configyro proftpd correctly?

> I don't have inetd installed.  It's a stripped down installation.  In
> any event, it's not clear to me that running from inetd would help.  The
> problem seems to be related changing users, which proftpd would still
> have to do running under inetd.

Yes, and it works fine under Win XP, so it must be something missing in your
user sshd_server privileges.
--
René Berber