Re: [Parallels 3.0, MacOS 10.4.9] Cygwin install probs and how do I subscribe

David L Goldsmith wrote:
Tim Prince wrote:
make is available on the cygwin setup selection window, as are other development packages you would need.
Generally speaking, putting cygwin stuff in your Windows environment should be avoided.
I don't understand this comment at all: isn't cygwin precisely for Windows environs? Besides, it's not my choice to use cygwin - I need to use ATLAS and the install instructions I found for that say first install cygwin. If anyone knows a better way to install ATLAS, please share.
Right click on My Computer, select Properties, Advanced then Environment Variables. There are two areas: User variables and System variables. Both can have a PATH environment variable. They are combined. The difference is that System variables are known to services which start before you log in (of course if you change these you need to reboot to rebuild the services environment which is built at boot time). I add C:\Cygwin\bin to my System variables personally.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Solomon Short