Re: Trying to build (perl) Inline::CPP-0.25.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Mallas" <pmallas@rsmas.miami.edu>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 12:05 AM
Subject: Re: Trying to build (perl) Inline::CPP-0.25.

I ran into a similar problem recently - the standard sort of c++ references were not being found. It turns out that the linker I was calling was ld2, a script that called another script perlld (in /usr/bin), where I found this:

# these are pretty mandatory
my $CC = 'gcc';
my $EXPORT_ALL = 1;

I edited this script and replaced gcc with g++. I don't know if this was a good idea or not, but it seemed to fix the problem.

I personally think this was an *excellent* idea. It certainly works for me, too.

I had run:

-------------------------
Rob@desktop2 ~/comp/Inline-CPP-0.25
$ perl -V:ld
ld='ld2';
-------------------------

and wondered about that. You're suggested amendment (apart from fixing the problem) is also in keeping with my "native" (MinGW) build of Windows perl 5.8 which reports:

C:\>perl -V:ld
ld='g++';

Dammit ... I should've known ... I've struck similar problems with MinGW builds of perl that want to set 'ld' to 'gcc' instead of 'g++'.

So ... it *is* a Cygwin Perl bug after all ? (That's a question, not an assertion :-)

Thanks Paul.

Cheers,
Rob