emacs: nothing happens when launched

Hello,
I'm expericencing trouble running emacs: when I execute 'emacs.exe' from the bash shell like so:

kev@host ~
$ emacs test

or:

kev@host ~
$ /usr/bin/emacs.exe test

or:

kev@host ~
$ /usr/bin/emacs-21.2.exe test

nothing happens: a new empty shell prompt line appears, just as if I hadn't run emacs.

My environment is the "Current" version of cygwin, emacs (21.2-13), and other binaries. The shell session is a bash login shell launched by Cygwin.bat, in a MS-DOS window.
I also tried with emacs version 21-2-12, or by specifying "-nw" switch to the executable, even with PuTTY instead of the MS-DOS window, but it doesn't change anything.
What am I missing here? Any help would be appreciated :)
thanks in advance