RE: fyi - mirror prob

  It compares the live version of http://cygwin.com/mirrors.lst with the one it cached in /etc/setup/mirrors-lst last time it was running.

> 	Re firewall ... unlikely, http/ftp are unfiltered.

  Yes, it was pretty clear the moment Renà pointed out that there were two IP addresses behind the name.

> 	It's disturbing that the two "mirrors.kernel.org" servers aren't in
> sync.  I suspect I'm pulling a bogus image from the alternate kern.org
> mirror. I was getting inconsistent results -- thought it might have been
> the new setup.exe accessing a different data file.  Very confusing. Sigh.

  I suspect that you're pulling /no/ image at all from the mirror - it may well be that the 404 status gets lost and all setup.exe notices is that there are zero bytes ("too short") in the result it ends up with.

  Someone could ping the hostmaster(s) I suppose, but I'm inclined to just shrug and say "Well, there are plenty of much better mirrors out there than kernel.org".

  (For West European users, I highly recommend the mirror sites at heanet.ie - extremely fast and minimally loaded - and mirrorservice.org - very comprehensive selection of mirrors.  YMMV!)

    cheers,
      DaveK