Re: Installing an old version of a package

Igor Peshansky schrieb:
On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Patrcik Strasser wrote:

Igor, thanks for the explanation!

Can anyone give me a hint how to install this package in a cygwin style?
Any command line tool like dpkg or rpm for this?

No command-line tools[*], but you can do the following:

1) Download the package to some subdirectory of your Cygwin package cache
directory, e.g., C:\install\Cygwin\custom.
2) Setup should be smart enough to infer the version, but, just to make
sure, you can create a custom setup.ini with that one package in it,
setting 'curr' to the version you want (i.e., 2.4).  See
<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2007-07/msg00134.html> for an example of
such a setup.ini (except you'd need one with a "python" package).
3) Tell setup to "Install from local directory".  That should let you
select 2.4, and setup will install it.

I got it working fine:

I modified 2) and 3):
1) I downloaded the old package, created a new directory and put the package file there.
2) In Setup, I chose "Install from local directory"
3) When asked for the Local Package Directory I chose the newly created directory with my package file
4) I the package selection view I got as only category "Misc", with the new package already selected.

NOTE: Just adding a directory in the Local Package Directory and putting the package there did not work!

Maybe this procedure should be added to the FAQ entry.

Patrick
Patrick Strasser <patrick dot strasser at tugraz dot at>