Re: Decimal float and the Cygwin build of GFortran.

Brian Salter-Duke wrote:
On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 05:19:28PM -0700, Brian Dessent wrote:
Brian Salter-Duke wrote:

work. Have things changed with these libraries since last year. This
was, BTW, I relative new install of cyqwin. I just copied the gfortran
and gcc4 executables over from an older machine. I think this is a
cyqwin question.
No, it's not a Cygwin question.  Yes, gcc has changed.  gcc 4.3.x now
requires/uses gmp and mpfr in all the front ends, whereas previously
they were only used in the fortran front end in 4.2.x and not at all
prior to that.

Thanks for this. After installing gmp and mpfr it all works fine. However I have to say that I think that this is very much a cygwin question. Knowing what packages to install before doing something is a cygwin question and I got no sense that I had to do this on the gfortran site before downloading the tar file of executables for cygwin. The change from gcc (and friends) 4.2 to 4.3 is not something that is obvious unless you are really into these things. Thanks for your help and keep up the good work.

I believe Brian D. was making the point that the 4.x gcc and friends aren't officially packaged yet so asking this list about what dependencies there are for things you've built yourself or downloaded from other sites isn't on-topic here. Once this is part of the Cygwin distribution, you shouldn't need to care what packages are a prerequisite for another, since the packaging will define those dependencies and 'setup.exe' will honor those requirements (assuming the user doesn't override them).

Holliston, MA 01746