Preparing for a new computer

I have installed four different variations of Cygwin on my current
computer. The first was B.20, my initial exposure to this tool kit. The
next one was buried in an SDK for Systech RCS port servers, and I didn't
know it was there until after it began installing. The target for this
was a 68EN363 CPU. The third was likewise embedded in an SDK for the
Digi ConnectME with an ARM-7. The final install was the current build. I
did this one with my eyes wide open, but still got some surprises. I am
no longer using the Digi product, but the Systech build process still
works with no issues.

However, the computer I have is past its replacement threshold, having
been out of warranty for eight months now. So I am working on the
configuration I will need for the new box, which should be arriving this
month as we just moved into a new fiscal year. But as I look at the
drive partitioning, I have a few questions about how to set this up. I
know that I will have to install the Systech SDK again, probably before
I do the full Cygwin install.

The drive will be partitioned into three logical drives. Drive C is
created and backed up by a Ghost image provided by IT. This contains
MS-Windows, Office, help desk and accounting applications required on
every desktop in the company. This drive will never be backed up, since
that image can be restored at any time.

Drive D will be where I install the applications, tools and SDKs that I
need for my work. That backup will consist of a row of CDs on my
bookshelf. If the drive dies, or MS-Windows self destructs, these will
all have to be reinstalled from those CDs to rebuild the registry. I
plan to use the "download to disk" option for the install to create an
image and burn a snapshot of the Cygwin installation files.

Drive E is where the data lives. This will contain all my source code,
VM images, libraries of documents and manuals, email, etc. This is the
only drive that gets backed up on a regular basis.

What this boils down to is that /bin, /doc, /etc, /lib and /usr should
be on drive D, but /home, /tmp, /var and /usr/local should be on E. (Or
should /etc also be on E?) I know that Microsoft's half-baked systems do
not have anything useful like links, either hard or soft, so this
becomes a problem. Is there any way to set Cygwin up to fit this
partition scheme?

In addition, I need to set up bash so that it has more reasonable home,
library and path settings. I would like to ignore all of the Microsoft
paths and substitute pure Unix styles, preferably some that match my
Slackware systems at home. That would certainly help reduce the
confusion I feel every Monday morning. Is this even possible?

Thank you for plowing through all of this. I would appreciate any
guidance you can provide.

Bob McConnell
Principal Communications Programmer
The CBORD Group, Inc.