cygwin on usb problems

I've installed cygwin onto my usb drive using the guide at
http://www.dam.brown.edu/people/sezer/software/cygwin/ but I am having
problems with file permissions with it. For various reasons, I choose to
install cygwin onto a ntfs partition. When I create files on one computer
from within cygwin, and then try to edit them from another computer, the
permissions are denied for it. Also, if one computer the login is "Fred",
and it is different on another computer, the owner and group become either
random numbers or question marks.

To fix this, is either of the following two settings possible:
1) Disable file permissions on cygwin. Even if a file is not owned by the
current user, I could still edit it.
2) Allow a user/group combination that is not tied to the windows
environment the cygwin is running on. For example, root:root. (this would be
best)

The last solution I could think of was removing the umask 022 command from
the /etc/profile. This (I think) would have the effect of making all new
created files having 777 or 666 permissions. However, does this affect files
created from scripts or other programs? Or is there another solution to my
problem that I haven't thought of?